Friday, January 20, 2012

Will I Break...

We have been trying to get Nickolas special education services for some time.  We had and IEP (individual education plan) for him when we moved to California but it was dismissed when he went into the California educational system.  We are now trying to get it reinstated.  He has high functioning autism.  He is very smart above grade level in every area, except social and emotional...in these areas he is many years behind.  He has had a very ruff 1st grade, getting kicked out of his first school and at the new school they seem to be refusing to acknowledge he has any problems.  In his current school, almost everyday he goes to the office several times a day...mostly to hide, he cries often most of the day and has been hit and chased by other kids.  His teacher says he needs a full time aid, we would love to see him get a full time aid...the district says they see nothing wrong with him and there is no need to provide him with special services. 
I am outraged!  

He has a diagnosis given to us by a regional center (the state)!, and his own doctors...Yet the district psychologist says "I don't think he even has autism"  This is where my mother instincts kick in and I want to scream.

It's a game, the school doesn't want to spend money to help my son, if they acknowledge he has a problem, they have to spend the money.  So they deny it, they hope we just give up and go away. 

I AM NOT GOING TO BACK DOWN!!!  I will take this to court if I have too (I need strength...please send me some).  This is my son, the little boy who is almost always happy, except at school, almost everyday I pick him up he is in tears, everyday I hear the same things from his teacher, another difficult day, very emotional, spent time in the office.  

He is only 7, he is only in 1st grade, he should be having some fun, art, playing with friends, learning new games, etc.  It shouldn't be this bad.  

I know I am right, I know my son needs help.

I admit, when I get angry I cry, I hate this about me, I wish that when I was angry I could yell, or say mean and witty things...but no I cry.  I am hoping I can find somewhere inside myself to stay calm and collect and not cry as I face the school...they don't care about me or my son, they only care about their budget...I need to remember that.  I am not talking about his teacher or even the principle, these people seem to want to help my son...it's the district they are only in it to save their dollars.  My son is not a budget number, he is a little boys who loves learning but needs help to be able to handle school, school is a very social place and it is very scary for this little guy. 

The saga continues...the district has until the 30th of this month to reply, since we are pretty sure we know what they will say, our next plan of action will be to figure out our legal rights and move forward....

No comments:

Post a Comment